AROC logo
Sunday DAY DRIVE 19th Feb 2012 (Sunday)    Weekend Stroll to Betong, Thailand 3rd & 4th March 2012    Classic Alfa Romeo Special TT Session 29th Jan 2012    AROC GO-KART PRESIDENT TROPHY 2011 16th Oct 2011    Aroc Sunday Drive 9th Oct 2011    MSS Classic Car Race Series 2011 -2nd Oct 2011    AROC Malaysia Grand Turismo(GT) 2011 15,16&17th July    AROC Annual General Meeting Year 2011    KL-BKK-KUNMING AROC OVERLAND EXPEDITION    AROC CHARITY DRIVE & FAMILY DAY 2011   
Members Area
 Remember me
I forgot my password

If you are an AROC Malaysia member, please register here.
AROC Merchandise

Official Merchandise
Alfa Romeo Official Merchandise

Official Merchandise

The Classic
Classic in the making

AROC MY Racing News
AROC MY Racing News

MSS Web Site

Forum For Karters In Asia
Karting Asia - Forum For Karters

Newest Pics

We have 51725 registered users
The newest registered user is Danielsl

Our users have posted a total of 25067 articles within 2465 topics

Diaries: KOH SAMUI ADVENTURE 15/3 to 18/3 2003 Report
Day 1 The Beginning

11 cars left from Sungai Buloh R&R at 7am and headed north. Along the way, we regrouped and a lone 156 joined our convoy at the Gurun R&R. We reached the Bukit Kayu Hitam border at around 11.30am and proceeded to clear immigration and customs. One participant had problems with his GTV6 2.5 leaking oil profusely so it was decided that he should leave the car at the border and hop in one of the cars in our convoy. He duly did so and parked his car at the Duty-free Complex long-term car park.

After Customs clearance, we had lunch in Danok town arranged by our Tour Guide, Ekasit. Two cars from Ipoh, joined the convoy in Hatyai, bringing the total number of cars to 13 cars as we proceeded up north under Tourist Police escort. Our cars comprised of one 166 3.0V6, four 168 Super 3.0, one 164 3.0V6, one 164 2.0, one GTV6 3.0, two 156 2.5V6, two 156 2.0 Selespeed, and one 146 1.6. The total number of participants totalled 28 persons.

We reached the Donsak pier at around 6pm (local time) and proceeded to board the ferry to Koh Samui, a 1 hour ferry ride. Upon arriving on the island, we proceeded to the Samui Park Resort 15 minutes away from the pier, checked in and had dinner by the poolside. After dinner, a much needed traditional massage was the order of the night before retiring to bed for most of the participants.

Day 2 Free & Easy.

Most of the group (those that did wake up anyway) opted to follow Ekasit for a tour around the island, which included visits to the Grandpa and Grandma rocks, rocks which resemble the male and female phallic symbols. This was followed by the Samui Go-Kart circuit where a few participants tried out their skills. Subsequently, we dropped by the Samui Shooting Range where several participants tried out their hand at a few weapons for rent which included the 9mm, 22mm, 45mm and even a pumpgun. We have some very good sharpshooters, I must say.

After lunch near town, a group of participants were enticed by a local restaurant owner who commented on our event t-shirts that had our AROC logo. He commented that the AROC logo resembled the Alfa Romeo logo. As it turned out, he was an Alfisti, and a Malaysian from Penang. Richard Goh has stayed in Koh Samui for the past 29 years and has his own restaurant there. His excitement was clear as he persuaded the group to wait and eat in his restaurant while he rushed home to fetch his pride and joy. 10 minutes later he arrived back in front of his shop in a red 1978 Alfetta GTV 2.0. Many stories were exchanged between the participants and Richard for almost an hour. According to Richard there are only 3 Alfa Romeo cars on Samui island, the other two being a 155 and a 156. The rest of the day was at our own leisure.

Day 3 Free & easy for most part of the day.

At 3pm, we regrouped at the hotel lobby for a tour round the island in our cars with Richard Goh taking the lead in his Alfetta GTV. Our convoy of 14 cars slowly cruised round the island and headed back to the hotel after an hour drive. We left our cars parked at the Samui Park Resort car park and boarded the hotel vans, headed for the pier to board the ferry for Pha Ngan island at 5pm. The one hour ferry ride to Pha Ngan was filled with enthusiasm.

We checked in at Pha Ngan Chai Hotel located in the main town at around 7pm. After dinner, we jumped into 3 taxis to head for Rin beach on the other side of the island where the Full Moon Party is held, a 30 minute journey by taxi from the hotel.

We reached the small town beside Rin beach at around 10pm and was amazed at the number of Caucasians (orang putih to you) present. We estimate the Caucasian population there far outnumber the Asians by 4 to 1. It was like being in a European country of some sort. A short walk to the beach showed that the Full Moon Party was about underway. Many beach mats, carpets were already laid out on the 2 km stretch soft beach sand. Imagine a 2km stretch of beach, lined up with pubs, restaurants, discos all playing blaring loud music and multitudes of people on the beach and inside the fronting establishments. People were slowly streaming in onto the beach, and some were sleeping on the beach in anticipation of the wild party ahead. We chose a 2 storey pub to hang out and decided to make the 1st floor balcony our view point.

Day 4 Party and the Journey Home

By 12am, the Full Moon Party was getting wilder, as the beach appears besieged with revellers dancing and drinking to the loud music. It was in short, a rave party. Most of our participants were lost in the crowd but all have been informed to return to the hotel to catch the 7am ferry back to Samui island. By 2am, the sheer size of the crowd at Rin Beach had become unbearable, with the party in full swing, and revellers crammed shoulder to shoulder on the beach, and yet more and more, streaming in. Most of the revellers were already drunk or high or both, judging from their wild behaviour. Some of our own participants were also noticeably happier than usual but names will not be mentioned.

By 3am we decided to abandon the 1st floor of the pub we were in as it was becoming too crowded. We decided that we needed to find more breathing space. Getting downstairs and onto the beach was an effort by itself and we decided to make it back to the taxi stand. To our surprise, there were still more people coming for the party.

We reached our hotel by 3.30am, the town was dead quiet, the opposite of what was happening at Rin beach on the other side of the island. Those that came back either slept or stayed up till morning. We had an early breakfast at 6am before regrouping at the lobby to walk to the pier to board our 7am ferry. All participants made it on time to board the ferry. The journey back to Samui island was uneventful as most of us tried to get more sleep for the journey back home.

Upon arrival back at Samui island at around 8am, we boarded the hotel vans to take us back to the hotel. A short briefing was held after we loaded our baggage and checked our cars. At 10.30am, we left the hotel and proceeded to the pier to board the 11am ferry to the mainland, another 1 hour journey.

We arrived at Donsak pier at around 12.30 noon and proceeded to head down south. We refueled along the way and identified the participants that wanted to head back home and those that wanted to put up an additional night in Hatyai. Ekasit made the necessary arrangements for those that wanted to stay one night in Hatyai. Of the 13 cars, 9 cars headed back across the border while the balance 4 cars comprising 9 participants proceeded to Hatyai for additional rest, recreation and shopping. The Hatyai group then left Hatyai the following day at their own leisure.


Posted: TheTaj @ Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:52 pm

©2005 Kelab Pemilik Alfa Romeo Malaysia. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.
Best viewed with a 1024 x 768 screen resolution.